Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Power & Love: I am Mike Brown, but I am also Darren Wilson


Now, we got to get this thing right. What is needed is a realization that power without love is reckless and abusive, and that love without power is sentimental and anemic. Power at its best, power at its best is love, implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best is love, correcting everything that stands against love. And this is what we must see as we move on. –Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Nothing is new under the sun. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. understood that overcoming systematic oppression required power, as it still does. This power, however, is different from the kind many of us are familiar with. MLK was not talking about the power to kill a slave master, or the power to violently protest, destroying the small business of an immigrant hoping to provide for his family, here and back home. NO. MLK knew of a different kind of power. Such a power isn’t simply accompanied by love but is enveloped in it. Such power is demonstrated in a people who can come together and embrace discomfort for a united cause. Such a power led people to wake up extra early for 381 days to walk or join a carpool to work, refusing to sit on a bus where they were not regarded as equal citizens. Such a power fueled the efforts of the Montgomery bus boycott. Such a power drove people to boycott A&P Supermarket in Cleveland with such unanimity, that after one day, 18 stores shut down and Mr. A&P contacted MLK and his crew to ask, “what would you advise us to do”. Such a power prompted people to march despite knowledge of oncoming fire hoses because they knew that within them burned a fire that no fire hose could put out. Such a power inspired people not to be as the Levite and the priest, asking, “if I help that man, what will happen to me”, but as the Good Samaritan, asking, “if I do not help that man, what will happen to him?” 




That is the mentality we must have in this matter. Some of us find it difficult to experience empathy in regards to the injustices taking place, not only in Ferguson, not only in great ol’ America, but all over this world. I, too, am guilty of this, and I am a work in progress. But like the Good Samaritan, I recognize the need to strive to see myself in the wretched of the earth. Mike Brown is not only my brother, he’s me. The Nigerian girls who were abducted and are no longer headline worthy aren't just my sisters, they’re me. The people dying from Ebola aren't just my relatives, they’re me. That little girl who just entered Eastern Europe as a sex slave isn't just my sister, she’s me. Those young men who are murdered in inner cities as a result of gang and drug related violence are not just my brothers, they’re me. That woman who was brutally beaten by the man she thought loved her isn't just my mother, she’s me. Those children who are hungry and dying aren't just my siblings, they’re me. If my heart feels no tug for people in such conditions and I feel no prompting into action on their behalf, perhaps it’s time I reevaluate the love I have for myself. 

But let’s take it a little further… What if those responsible for abducting the Nigerian girls are also me? What if those who are exploiting helpless individuals through human trafficking are also me? What if those gang bangers and drug dealers are also me? What if that man who beat his wife is also me? What if Darren Wilson is also me? What if I have the same potential to be the perpetrated as I do to be the perpetrator?




Jesus once told his disciples a parable to show them the importance of both empathy and action. He shared that in the second coming, He would invite His sheep, saying, “come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:34-36) Foreseeing their confusion as to how they did all these things to their King when he was not physically present to receive any of these gestures, Jesus explained; “truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” (Matthew 25:42) He who has authority over all of heaven and all of earth, identifies with the wretched of the earth, the poor, the hungry, the thirsty, the naked, the sick, and the imprisoned, so much so, that He regards both action and inaction towards these people as towards Himself. Interestingly, when Jesus says “I was in prison and you came to visit me”, He does not specify whether or not the individual was justly or unjustly placed there. Maybe Matthew forgot to include that detail in this book. Or perhaps, Jesus is challenging us to a standard of love that not only strives to repair and restore the brokenness and void of the perpetrated, but also seeks to reconcile the disunion caused by the perpetrator.

Power & Love,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment