Thursday, July 21, 2016

Uh oh, I Feel Like My Girlfriend is Already My Wife


After 4 whole years of being with Emmanuella, it’s hard not to feel entitled to sex. In these four years, I’ve been faithful, loyal, patient, I’ve shown her the utmost respect, generosity and much more (I have definitely been a pain in the butt as well but that’s not the point right now). After all the flowers, edible arrangements, dinners, hours on the phone, sweet words, and Instagram features, there are moments when I feel like I’m putting in more work than half my brothers, but ain’t getting’ half of what they gettin’.


When I start thinking like this, it’s clear that I’ve stepped out of the presence of God. Outside of His presence, I begin to think in my old, childish ways. I adapt the mindset of sex ed, rather than the raised standard of abstinence. Abstinence programming is generally seen as overbearing and ancient, and our president recently cut its funding to allow for more sex education classes in schools. Teaching purity is apparently too imposing, and so we’d rather teach impurity with a hint of pureness; “you don’t need a commitment before God and man before you indulge in arguably the most intimate and vulnerable interaction between two human beings, just make sure you wear a ‘life jacket’ and that you're 'of age', so as to protect yourself from sickness and unwanted child support”.

In such a sex-driven world, living a life of purity is not easy, and what’s even more difficult is keeping your thoughts pure. When toxic thoughts and feelings of entitlement arise, I must remind myself that despite all of my laboring in my pursuit of Emmanuella, she does not belong to me until our Heavenly Father places her hand in mine on that precious day (wait on it). Society will tell you that Ella belongs to herself. Therefore, as long as she’s with it, all bets are on. But the truth is, Emmanuella doesn’t belong to herself, she belongs to God Almighty, TWICE; for He created her and even redeemed her by crushing His only begotten Son(this is true for everyone). So as a daughter of God, Emmanuella is not authorized to give her own consent, for only her Heavenly Father has that authority. Society teaches us that if the act is consensual between the two (of age) parties involved, neither has raped the other. I believe that Jesus has raised the standard, meaning that if it’s not consensual between all three parties involved; the two engaging in sex, as well as God, who created the beautiful act, then it is still rape.

When the false feelings of entitlement arise to obscure my thinking, I also battle back with God’s Word and I remember Joseph, Jesus’ earthly father. After being informed by an angel that Mary, his fiancée, was going to give birth to a child who would grow up to save people of their sins, Joseph still married her and then did something quite amazing afterwards. After marrying her and receiving her hand from God (true consent), he waited to have sex with his wife… He waited until the Savior of the world was born. Out of his reverence to God, he respected her body, even when his marrying her gave him every right to go all in. He waited; “When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him: he took his wife, but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called His name Jesus” (Matthew 1: 24-25).

I don’t know how long Joseph waited before having sex with his wife (maybe 9, 6, or 3 months). But regardless, if God can give Joseph the strength to abstain from that which rightfully belonged to him, then brethren, we have no excuse. God is ready to provide the strength we need to live for Him, but He’s waiting for us to decide that we want to TRULY live for Him. Once we make the decision, the strength comes, the guidance comes, the discipline comes and so on. All these needed things come, because when we make the decision to live for Jesus, He comes, and begins to take residence in our hearts.


May God grant us a renewed appetite for His presence. May He show us the way of self-control and Godly maturity in a world that exalts childish behavior. May we be empowered to live a life that is pleasing unto God, because that’s the best decision we can make. Brethren, go in power, for the Lord your God, is your strength. Amen.


OUR NEW EBOOK "BREAKING FREE AFTER A BREAKUP" IS OUT NOW!!
HERE'S THE LINK!: http://www.amazon.com/dp/ASIN  https://books2read.com/u/3LrB7D 




Peace and Love,
David

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph? think about how long Jacob waited...and WORKED, for Rachel.! thank you for your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete