Wednesday, March 9, 2016

GOD DOESN'T NEED YOU TO USE YOU


This is probably one of the scariest truths I've had to wrestle with. It's crazy to think that God can still use me to heal the sick, to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to prophecy to the hopeless, to speak to the masses, and so much more, without me being in right standing with Him. You would think that if I'm not good with God, then the healing power would stop, and God would stop blessing me so much. But the truth is, God will still use us and bless us, even as we are walking in disobedience. Why is that so scary?



It's scary because naturally, we are conditioned to use external measures to figure out where we are with God. Unfortunately, using this system will leave us doomed. If I can be in sin and still move in the healing power of God, it means that I can heal my way straight to hell. If I can preach sermons that move people to give their lives to Christ while still in sin, it means I can save souls on a weekly basis and still be heading straight to hell.

Years ago, I convinced myself that premarital sex wasn't that bad because I was doing quite well in school. I thought that if I was really sinning, God would cause me to get bad grades as a sign that I should get back in line. I know it sounds ridiculous but so many of us fail to confront some sins in our lives because we don't feel "convicted". The truth is, we miss God's conviction because we're blinded by how well things are going in our lives. In Scripture, Jesus warns us against this trap:

““Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:21-23‬ ‭ESV‬‬



Just like in a relationship when you are able to sense your partner's emotions without them telling you, God wants us to develop such a spiritual sensitivity and intimacy that we know how He feels before He even says so. Beware of judging your standing with God by how well you are doing in life. You can have all the money you desire and not be listed in the Lamb's Book of Life. In the same vain, you can be poor and sick, and yet, be known in heaven as not just a servant of God, not just a child of God, but a friend of God.

Don't get so caught up in work, even Kingdom work, that you forget to spend time with the One who hired you in the first place. The surest way to know how you stand with God is to make it a habit to sit with Him.


Peace & Love,
David

1 comment:

  1. That's a great reminder. Thanks David for sharing

    ReplyDelete